This weekend I told my daughter that I’d make chocolate bread but then I didn’t have a chance. So I made it yesterday and posted a thing about it to TikTok.
People wanted the recipe so I thought you might too!
I use someone else’s recipe and that can be found here: https://inthekitchenwithmatt.com/chocolate-bread
First, I got my ingredients together.
- 1 cup white granulated sugar 200g
- 1/2 cup butter room temp/softened (115g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk 240g
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose plain flour (210)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 50g
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts optional (40g)
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips optional (60g)
Followed the recipe and was ready to put into the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C. In a large bowl cream together the butter and the sugar with a mixer.
- Add in the eggs and mix those until well combined. Put the mixer away. Add the buttermilk and stir/fold it in with a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon. Just until combined.
- In a sifter add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Sift those dry ingredients into the bowl. Or if you don’t have a sifter whisk them together in a separate bowl and then add them to the main bowl. Fold the dry ingredients into the batter until just combined.
- Some optional ingredients you can add at this point are walnuts or pecans and chocolate chips.
- Grease a 9×5 inch bread loaf pan or spray it with kitchen spray. Add the chocolate bread batter to the pan and bake it in the oven, middle rack, for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes. Remove it from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely. Serve up a slice and enjoy! I like to add strawberry preserves and butter to mine, but it is amazing plain as well.
It came out looking and smelling great!
Once it was cool, I pulled it out of the pan for it to cool even more. Once that happened, it was time to cut and the the family swarmed.
Want to know how much is left? Almost none. A bit of a heel. But it was delicious and the kids were happy 🙂